This page looks at using the word government in Task 2.
Using the correct words in your IELTS test can make the difference between succeeding and having to resit the test, so make sure you’ve got the right word or phrase!
In this post, we will look at the use of the word ‘government’. To begin, look at the three sentences below. Are they used correctly or not? Consider the grammar, punctuation and syntax (sentence order).
1. The Government should be responsible for providing free education to all citizens.Show answer This is not correct – when used in the middle of the sentence, there is no need for the word ‘government’ to have a capital letter.
2. Many people believe it is a government’s responsibility to provide a good standard of healthcare.Show answer This is not correct. Although the sentence may be talking in general, it is more natural to use ‘the government’.
3. Governments should be held responsible for periods of economic recession.Show answer This is not correct. Again, this would be more common as ‘the government’, even when referring about more than one government.
4. The government legislation should be put in place to ensure that all criminals are sent to prison.Show answer This is not correct. The use of ‘the’ here means that you are referring to specific legislation, but this legislation is not clearly given, so it should be simply ‘Government legislation…’
5. In addition to government’s laws, citizens should also feel morally obliged to keep their country clean.Show answer This is not correct and is a lot trickier to explain. This could have been expressed as ‘In addition to government laws, citizens…’ OR ‘In addition to the government’s laws, citizens…’
6. It would be more effective if the government enforced the laws equally, regardless of wealth or status.Show answer This is correct.
7. For instance, the government of Singapore has passed a law that each citizen should separate their waste and dispose of it in either a recycled or non-recycled trash bin.
8. It is therefore very clear that government should enforce strict legislation and raise public awareness against deforestation.Show answer This should either be plural (governments) or ‘the government’.
9. Without funding, cultural art centres would have to rely heavily on the government.Show answer This is correct.
10. It would be a better form of the government if people were allowed to make more choices for themselves.Show answer This is not correct. In this sentence, ‘government’ has been used not with the meaning of a particular group of people making decisions for the country, but general direction, control and decision making (as in ‘The school should be allowed to govern itself’).
11. It is the responsibility of the governments to collect taxes.Show answer This is not correct. The writer is referring to all governments around the world, but this should be expressed as ‘It is the responsibility of governments to collect taxes’. OR ‘It is the responsibility of the government to collect taxes.’
Correctly using the word GOVERNMENT in Task 2 can make the difference between achieving your IELTS goal and having to take the test again, so we hope this page helps!