English idioms exercises
Have you read the information page on English idioms? Click here to read it before you try the English idioms exercises.
Remember to register to get email updates.
Complete the English idioms exercises below to test your knowledge.
Complete the English idioms exercises by choosing the correct option (a) or (b) to complete each of the sentences.
1. The mistake occurred because of lack of care. If he’d _______________________ everything would have been fine.
(a) drawn the line (b) kept his eye on the ball
2. Clearly the homeless man had little money of his own, yet he handed in the wallet. It goes to show you should never __________________________.
(a) make up your mind (b) judge a book by its coverclick here to see the answer
3. What you did is unacceptable! I must ___________________ when it comes to this kind of behaviour and will make an official complaint.
(a) draw the line (b) toe the lineclick here to see the answer
4. This is only a ________________ I can confirm more specific details in my full report.
(a) catch 22 (b) ball park figureclick here to see the answer
5. I think he feels better now he’s ___________________ . He needed some release as he was so stressed.
(a) let of some steam (b) over the moonclick here to see the answer
6. He didn’t take any personal responsibility for his errors; he just wanted to __________________.
(a) toe the line (b) pass the buckclick here to see the answer
7. He likes to _______________________ and suggest different points of view.
(a) play devil’s advocate (b) sit on the fenceclick here to see the answer
8. Everyone is doing it! It’s amazing how everyone is _________________ with this new social media fad.
(a) letting off steam (b) jumping on the bandwagonclick here to see the answer
9. It’s okay to ________________ every now and then! You’ve been working so hard, go and have some fun!
(a) let off steam (b) make up your mindclick here to see the answer
10. ______________________ I have no idea if the project will be a success or not
(a) Your guess is as good as mine (b) I wouldn’t be caught deadclick here to see the answer
11. Staff conditions are getting worse and worse. The situation is ______________________ from what the founder had wanted for his workers.
(a) the best of both worlds (b) a far cryclick here to see the answer
12. He should not have _______________________. The quality is not as good as it used to be.
(a) kept his eye on the ball (b) cut cornersclick here to see the answer